Saturday, May 5, 2012

Brinley's Birth Story!

Here's Brinley's birth story! It's long, but so was 36hours of labor. :P

On Monday morning on April 23, I was getting ready for class when my cell phone rang. It wasn't a number that I recognized, but I answered it anyway. It was my new OB. She was calling to tell me that my 24hour urine test showed protein and it put me just over the limit for pre-eclampsia. The limit is 300, my proteins were at 303. Instead of waiting and keeping an eye on it, the doctor told me that since I was technically full term already (38w2d), that I was being induced that morning and to get to the hospital as soon as I could get there. She was handing my care over to another OB (Dr. Billings) since her schedule was booked solid. 

Jon and I got to L&D at 10:30am and we got into our delivery room and started filling out paperwork. Since I was only a fingertip dilated and 40% effaced, Dr. Billings decided to start the induction with cytotec pills to soften my cervix. I received the first dose at noon, then again at 4pm. It was sort of working, I effaced to 80% by 8pm. Dr. Billings broke my water at 11pm and started a magnesium drip to control my blood pressure. (one of the symptoms of pre-e) At 1am on the 24th, a pitocen drip was started and labor really began. The contractions came one right after another in waves. It was mostly in my lower back with some intense period-like cramping in my lower abdomen. At 2:30am I told the nurses that I wanted an epidural. It was heaven the minute that I couldn't feel the pain in my lower back anymore. I was so scared about getting an epi, but it honestly wasn't that bad. The anesthesiolgist told me everything that he was doing and that really calmed my nerves and helped me relax.

By noon, I had dilated to 3cm. At 4pm, I finally made it to 4cm! It was at that point that the dreaded c-section word was used. Dr. Billings said that the magnesium and the pitocen were working against each other. The magnesium is used to slow down labor and the pitocen is used to speed it up. He was hoping that the pitocen would overpower the mag and that I would be able to deliver vaginally, so he was cautious about scheduling surgery. Unfortunately, I was still sitting at 4cm and 90% effaced at 6pm. I was scheduled for surgery at 7:45pm. :( 

My family made a guessing game about what time Brinley would be born with guesses ranging from 8:01 to 8:22. An OR nurse was in my room and she said, "Oh, she'll be here at 8:11" Thought nothing of it. My epidural meds were upped until I couldn't feel the lower half of my body and I was basically a dead weight. I was taken into the emergency OR on the L&D floor, and Jon wasn't able to come into the room with me, he had to stand in the tiny little nursery looking through the window. I don't remember much about the actual surgery, but I didn't feel pain, just tugging, pulling, and some pressure. I heard Brinley's first scream-not cry, scream. Our families out in the hall heard it! Someone announced the time of her birth-8:11pm! The OR nurse won our guessing game! I didn't even get to see Brinley before they took her into the attached nursery. Jon gave me a huge smile and a thumbs up that everything was okay. As I was being stitched up, a nurse brought Brinley in so I could see her. She was absolutely perfect. [image]

I got to hold Brinley for a little bit before I was taken to recovery, and luckily I only had to stay there for the required hour since everything was okay. After I got back up to my room, the nurses brought Brinley in and I finally was able to look at her. She has my nose and lips, Jon's long fingers and toes, dark blue-gray eyes, and reddish blonde hair! Her hair really threw all of us for a loop; we were expecting dark brown hair, if any. Turns out red is does run in both sides of our families. Jon's dad had reddish brown hair when he was a kid, and my maternal grandmother's siblings all had red hair. It's really cute.

After 36 hours of labor and being sliced and diced, my little red-headed princess is here! Brinley Ida Renee entered the world on Tuesday April 24, 2012 at 8:11pm, weighing 6lbs 5oz and is 19inches long. She's absolutely perfect, and Jon and I are head over heels in love with her. [image] [image]

First family photo! 

Brinley and Daddy

Mommy and Brinley ready to head home from the hospital!






1 comment:

  1. Aww my word, she's gorgeous, congratulations and jubilations, Athenais! Many blessings to your family and the new addition especially!

    ReplyDelete